Facebook, Youtube, Quora, Twitter are the most distracting website ever, and you will end up spending 15 minutes instead of 5 minutes. Whats worst ? You will not know how 5 minutes became 15 minutes
In this tutorial, I will show you easy and strong ways to block Facebook (or any other website you are addicted to) in Firefox and Chrome (Computer) browsers. Once you block them, it wont be easily possible to unblock them until your study time or work time is over.
For Smartphone Users
Smartphone users can try the apps below to change addiction habits. No explanations needed here.
For Firefox Users
Get The Leechblock Addon for firefox. It has the following features:
1. Block any websites you want withing any time. (I use to block Facebook and other websites from 0500 hours in the morning to 2100 hours at night. )
2. Option to block the Addon Page and Config Page of Firefox. You should make sure that the addon page and config page are also blocked when you are studying or working. This way, you will have no way to unblock the blocked websites (by disabling the Leeachblock application or modifying the list of blocked website) at the time when you should be studying/working.
3. The LeechBlock page has all the details explained very properly. Get the addon and test it yourself.
For Chrome Users
The StayFocusd Web App. Sure, there can be many other tool but I have used this one and found it extremely useful. The Chrome App page of StayFocusd itself explains everything you need to know. For example, just like leechblock, this web application lets you:
1. Block any website at anytime of the day.
2. It can block the chrome://extensions/ page. This is useful so that you can stop yourself from disabling the StayFocusd application at times when you have strong urge to visit a website during your study or work time.
3. Require Challenge Option: Lets you complete a challenge before you are allowed to access a blocked website.
4. The Nuclear Option: Blocks every website or website in blocked list in the specified time and there is no way to cancel the block once it is set. Be careful that, if you block a website (Say, Youtube), you won’t be able to access Youtube even from those websites which uses Embedded Youtube links. This will be applicable to all website, not only Youtube. (Vimeo etc).
Anyway, there will be ways to unblock and access the blocked website, for example, if someone uninstalls the browser and installs it again. But all these will waste a lot of time and you won’t like to do that while you study or work, isn’t ?
Facebook Cover Image Source: www.digitaltrends.com